For those dealing with the probate of an estate, guardianship, conservatorship, or committal issues, I understand this difficult time in their life and have the compassion to help them through it. Additionally, from my many years in law enforcement, I know that most people who appear in the Probate Court for violations of criminal or traffic laws are good people. Unfortunately, those who may have just had a bad day or made a bad decision results in them being charged with an offense. I am committed to weighing the facts according to the law and basing my decision on what is fair and just for everyone.
The 2020 election coincides with the next census, which will confirm the growth of Oconee County. Not only is Oconee County’s population growing, but the number of seniors in that population is also increasing. With that growth comes an increased caseload for the Probate Court. I am committed to working with our Commissioners in a fiscally responsible manner to ensure the Probate Court has the resources it needs to accommodate our citizens with the service they deserve.
"Our family was welcomed into Oconee County over 15 years ago. Our children, Hannah and Tate,
are both graduates of our outstanding schools. While growing up here, they were fortunate to participate in great extracurricular activities like youth and high school sports teams, FFA, and 4-H.
My wife, Leslie, and I believe in the importance of being active in the community we call
home. Leslie is a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) for Oconee and Clarke Counties
and also serves on the Oconee County Recreation Affairs Committee. I’m a member of the
Oconee County Rotary Club, in which “Service above Self” is our motto. Additionally,
our entire family is active in service at our church.
As your Probate Judge, I promise a continued commitment of excellent service in your Probate Court."
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Master of Public Administration, Columbus State University
• Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice, University of Georgia
MANAGEMENT & LEADERSHIP TRAINING
• FBI National Academy Graduate
• Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police Georgia Law Enforcement Command College Graduate
• International Association of Chiefs of Police Leadership in Police Organizations
• Leadership in Police Organizations Faculty Development Workshop, International Association of Chiefs of Police
• United States Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration Drug Unit Commanders Academy
• Georgia Public Safety Training Center Supervisory Skills Program Levels I-III
• Managerial, Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council
• Criminal Justice Education, University of Virginia
• Arson Investigator, Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council
• Fire Investigator, National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications
• Basic Law Enforcement, Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council
• International Association of Chiefs of Police
• Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police
• FBI National Academy Associates
• Outstanding Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force Case for the Middle District of Georgia (2003)
• Athens Rotary Club Sherm Applebaum Award for Outstanding Professional and Community Service (2006)
• Recognition of Exemplary Service to Drug Law Enforcement, from the Drug Enforcement Administration Atlanta Field Division
• Georgia Narcotics Officers Association Joseph Whitehead Award as the Outstanding Drug Enforcement Unit In the state (2012)
• Four Way Test Award for Exceptional Dedication to the Ideals of Rotary from the Oconee County Rotary Club (2017)
• Briarwood Baptist Church, Member, Deacon since 2007, past Chairman of the Long Range Planning Committee leading the development of church campus expansion and new building planning, past Chairman of the Missions Committee, member of the Building Committee overseeing construction of a new multi-purpose building.
• Rotary Club of Oconee County, Paul Harris Fellow, past Chair of the Service Committee, past Sergeant at Arms.
• Assistant Coach for Oconee County Parks and Recreation Soccer and Oconee County Little League Baseball
• University Of Georgia Athletic Association Student-Athlete Mentor
• Member of the Athens Technical College Emerging Technologies Program Advisory Board and Criminal Justice Program Advisory Board
• Oconee County FFA Alumni Supporter